Shayri.com  

Go Back   Shayri.com > Stories/Quotes/Anecdotes > Inspiring Stories

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
We are born with invisible wings
Old
  (#1)
sunita thakur
sunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Thumbs up We are born with invisible wings - 12th August 2010, 09:54 PM

Dosto yeh koi kahani nahi hai, yeh haqiqat hai jo aaj maiN yahaN aap sabke saath share karne lagi hooN, mai esi maqsad se yeh article post kar rahi hoon ki shayad koi ek hi inspire ho jaye es haqiqat se
yeh article hamari ShakuN diii (SHAKUNTLA VYAS) ki zindgi hai

27 January 2008

She grew up not knowing if she could achieve her dream of flying in an aeroplane like the ones that used to fly above her village in India.

And today Dr Shakuntala Vyas, Head of the Department of Pathology in Ahlia Hospital, Abu Dhabi, the first woman to have received the Shaikh Hamdan Humanitarian Award in the year 1999, shares her life story with City Times readers.

HEARING THE sound of an aeroplane flying over the small village in Rajasthan, a desert state of India, I used to run out of my house and gaze at it until it disappeared from my sight. I used to think how lucky are the people who can travel in a plane!

I heard from people that only big and rich people can travel by it. In the Indian context doctors, engineers and businessmen are usually considered to be 'big and rich'. For a ten-year-old daughter of a school teacher in a remote village it was too big a dream. The question as to whether I would get an opportunity used to always haunt me...

There was a resident doctor in a small government dispensary in our village. I was very impressed by his personality. Wearing a white apron with a stethoscope around his neck, he used to look so different from the villagers.
Once I went to the dispensary and saw a man crying in acute pain while waiting for his turn to see the doctor. He was called inside the clinic and after half an hour when he came out he was looking fine and smiling too. I was amazed. I thought doctors are like magicians — they can make a crying man smile. That was the time I decided to be a doctor myself. Also, they come in the category of so called big and rich people who can travel in the plane.
I asked my father "Babujee, I want to be a doctor. What should I do?" He took out his glasses as he was reading a book and affectionately caressed my hair and said with a playful smile, "Very simple, just by heart your course books from the first letter to the last letter. That's all."

"Is that all I need to do to be a doctor?" I asked feverously.
"Yes, my child. Now go and start studying your books from now only. Run don't delay..."

He said it just to satisfy a child's curiosity but his words of wisdom had a great impact on me and I assimilated it completely.

My target was to learn by heart my course books from the first letter to the last letter. Since I had a good memory, memorising the books was not a difficult task for me. I knew exactly what I needed to do. This made me a very focused student. I started putting my best efforts, time and energy to achieve my goal.

Breaking away from crowd

We used to walk two kilometres just to fetch drinking water in the scorching heat of the desert summer. Ours was a joint family. My grandfather was a social reformer and left the house when my father was very young. He used to do the last rites of the unclaimed dead bodies with the help of other volunteers.

His passion for social work swerved him from his duties of a father and the head of the family. My grand uncle adopted my father and took responsibility of the entire family. He felt that very few people are born for the service of mankind. If he finds solace in doing charity he should be given support and freedom.

My grandmother, mother and aunts used to do all the household jobs including grinding the wheat to make flour. In their free time they used to spin the yarn which was given by the 'Khadi Gramudyog' (an institution under the self employment scheme).

Gandhiji's influence was very prominent in the villages. This way they used to earn some money also by utilising their spare time. Normally all the women in the villages used to pass their time like this — they just couldn't think of life beyond it. There was no exposure to the outside world. Going to a nearby town for a fair once in six months, was the only outing. Festivals, marriages and child births were the only social occasions for gettogether.
Since I used to read the books which my father used to bring from his library I knew that women outside the villages were different. I didn't want to do what my granny or mother had been doing for ages. I wanted to break away from the tradition of being confined to the narrow domestic walls and do something more fruitful in life. We are born with invisible wings. What we need to do is to discover and spread them. Our positive desperation determines our destination.

Finding her own path

In those days in villages, girls' education itself was a far cry.. Since my father was a teacher I was privileged and allowed to go to school in the village.
Everyone in the family including my father objected to my pursuing studies further because those days, especially in our community getting a suitable match for an educated girl was very difficult.

There was a big pandemonium in the family. I didn't exactly rebel but argued with logic to support my decision.. They were happy from within but too pressurised by the norms of the society. Finally, my uncle convinced my father to send me to him for further studies and I moved to Chitorgarh.
After completing the Higher Secondary exams, I appeared for the Pre Medical Test and was selected for MBBS in the first attempt. I was the only girl from a Hindi medium school who was selected in the R & T Medical College, Udaipur. My family was happy and proud that I was the first girl in the family who was going to be a doctor. But at the same time they were very apprehensive about my being over qualified to find a suitable match for marriage! They were also worried about the funding for tuition fees, books, study materials and additional expenditure for staying in the hostel.
But as the saying goes, 'Man (in my case a Woman!) proposes and God disposes.' I qualified on merit basis for the Free Women's Education Programme which was initiated by the Rajasthan Ministry of Education to promote girls to pursue higher studies. My tuition fee was waived off, that came as a big relief. I started giving tuitions to children to meet my other expenditures which I kept bare minimal. When I used to see other girls of my college, spending money lavishly I never felt jealous or deprived, rather I used to feel proud that I could stand next to them with great confidence.
During my entire MBBS course I never bought a single book. I used to sit in the library for hours to make notes and they used to be so comprehensive that my class mates used to borrow them from me.

Suddenly my father fell ill and suffered from Hepatic Coma. He was hospitalised for 10 days. 35 units of blood were donated by the students of my college. Everyone extended support which was possible as I was a medical student myself. My father was the only earning member of the family then. Those 10 days in the hospital made me 10 years older than my age. Eventually my father regained consciousness. When he was told about the support he got from my fellow students and doctors he was emotionally overwhelmed. He said with choked voice, "I am proud of you Dr Shakuntala, my daughter. I would have committed a sin by not allowing you to study medicine " Tears rolled down my cheeks. I replied, "Babujee, you only have given me the mantra to be a doctor by memorising the first letter to the last letter of my books."

I became the "son" of the family supporting my younger brothers in every possible way to come up in their lives. My world was my work, my patients, my family and my colleagues. I was 30 years old and still single, which was a big issue.. But destiny had another treasure to unfold for me. I met my Mr. Right through a family friend. Arvind Vyas, was a gold medalist in M.Tech. He was 31-years-old then and still single as he wanted to marry an educated girl especially a doctor. Both of us were little over aged and over educated for marriage. This uncommonly common factor brought us together. We have been happily married for the last 25 years.

Living life to the full

We moved to Abu Dhabi some 18 years back. I was thrilled when I boarded the flight for the first time. I felt I was on the top of the world in the literal sense! I looked down and felt there must be thousands of young Shakus (my nick name) chasing this plane with dreamy eyes. I felt like I should reach out to them and tell them that from the earth to the sky the distance is long but not impossible. Unfold your wings and sky is not the limit.
My only child is a daughter. She is a software engineer working in Dubai. She is also an independent young girl. We have given her the freedom to decide what she wants to do in life. We have only helped her to develop an ability to distinguish between good and bad, right and wrong.
I feel I am very fortunate to achieve my goal and have had an opportunity to be of service to mankind. I have immense satisfaction of living life to its fullest, having fulfilled most of my objectives. I just pray to be healthy to perform my duties till my last breath.

Dr. Shakuntala Vyas spoke jaya sarkar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.....Sunita Thakur.....

यह कह कर मेरा दुश्मन मुझे हँसते हुए छोड़ गया
....के तेरे अपने ही बहुत हैं तुझे रुलाने के लिए...

Old
  (#2)
zainy
Aapki dost
zainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

12th August 2010, 11:36 PM

Wow!!...........great..............

Hats off to you Shakuntala jiii........................

Thanks for sharing sunita di.................

Zainy

PalkoN ki baand ko tod ke daaman pe aa gira
Ek aaNsu mere zabt ki tauheen kar gaya...

Nm

Last edited by zainy; 12th August 2010 at 11:55 PM..
  Send a message via MSN to zainy  
Old
  (#3)
shakuntala vyas
shakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to behold

12th August 2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainy View Post
Wow!!...........great..............

Hats off to you Shakuntala jiii........................
tahedil se sukerguzar hu

sada khush rahe

dr shakuntala vyas

abudhabi

Old
  (#4)
ISHK EK IBADAT
RADHE RADHE
ISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Love 13th August 2010, 12:19 AM

SUNITA JEE
radhe radhe

majboot iraade hamesha insaan ko bulandion par pahuncha hi dete hain marg ki badhaayen usko nahi rok paati
ek kahavat hai gudri me laal chhupe hote hain
nice sharing
shakuntla jee ke liye man me izzat aur badh gayee

Aapka Apna
Ishk

'इश्क' के बदले इश्क चाहना तिजारत है
इज़हार किससे करें महबूब तो दिल में है

email: rkm179@gmail.com

Old
  (#5)
Dhaval
Shayri.com Moderator
Dhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comDhaval is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

13th August 2010, 11:46 PM

receiving shaikh hamdan award for humanitarian cause

Pranaam didi..! bahot hi KhuShii hu'ii..!

*~*Dhaval*~*....Ek Ehsaas...

Old
  (#6)
shakuntala vyas
shakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to beholdshakuntala vyas is a splendid one to behold

14th August 2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhaval View Post
receiving shaikh hamdan award for humanitarian cause

Pranaam didi..! bahot hi KhuShii hu'ii..!

thanks a lot

bado ka asirwad aur prabhi ki kripa

sada khush raho

Old
  (#7)
Mann
Mann is just really niceMann is just really niceMann is just really niceMann is just really nice

16th August 2010, 09:01 PM

Shakuntala ji, Namaste!

Your determination, your efforts and your achievements are truly inspiring. You are truly an inspiration for me and for many. Hats off to you! Salute to you!

Wish you further success throughout your life!

Thank you Sunita ji too for sharing with us.

Mann

Old
  (#8)
shakuntala vyas

16th August 2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann-Limitless View Post
Shakuntala ji, Namaste!

Your determination, your efforts and your achievements are truly inspiring. You are truly an inspiration for me and for many. Hats off to you! Salute to you!

Wish you further success throughout your life!

Thank you Sunita ji too for sharing with us.
thanks a lot

sada khush raho

god bless you

sab bado ka asirwad hai

prabhi ki kripa

Old
  (#9)
sunita thakur
sunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comsunita thakur is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

16th August 2010, 10:44 PM

dii maine yeh article apni betiyoN ko bhi padaya hai, muje bahut accha laga unko batana ki aap merii dii haiN, umeed karti hooN ki woh es article se kuch jaroor seekheNgi...ameeN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.....Sunita Thakur.....

यह कह कर मेरा दुश्मन मुझे हँसते हुए छोड़ गया
....के तेरे अपने ही बहुत हैं तुझे रुलाने के लिए...

Old
  (#10)
shakuntala vyas

18th August 2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunita virender View Post
dii maine yeh article apni betiyoN ko bhi padaya hai, muje bahut accha laga unko batana ki aap merii dii haiN, umeed karti hooN ki woh es article se kuch jaroor seekheNgi...ameeN
thanks sunita

mujhe khusi hai ki apane mere ish article ko itani izzat di

jindagy ko hum bana sakte hai yahi maksad hona chahiye

jo kosis kata hai ishvar sath dete hai

mere halato me graduation arts me karana bhi mumkin na hua hota agar mere pitaji teacher na hote aur meri maa ish samay ki eight standar paas thy

mere maata pita ki padhai ke liye jo soch thy usi ka parinam hai me aaj doctor hu aur sukhad jivan ji rahi hu

sabse jyada prabhu ki kripa hai fir maata pitaki

lvvvvvvvvu sunita

tumhari didi

shakuntala vyas

Old
  (#11)
mittal_pali
Webeater
mittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to behold

29th December 2010, 12:17 AM

it's a good article. and thanks for sharing.

Pali Mittal

Old
  (#12)
shakuntala vyas

18th May 2011, 06:06 PM

[QUOTE=mittal_pali;419375]it's a good article. and thanks for sharing.[/QUOTe

thanks mittal sab

apane hamari jindagy ke bare me padha

sada khush raho

dr vyas

Old
  (#13)
aarya
trail of thoughts
aarya is just really niceaarya is just really niceaarya is just really niceaarya is just really niceaarya is just really nice

19th May 2011, 12:30 AM

thanks Sunita ji for sharing this article and Shakun dd U have always been an inspiration.
Great going....

warm regards to u both
aarya

khwaabo.n ke par kabhii kaTne na denaa
inke sahaaron me raahai.n rahe.ngii

lage.nge ye lejaa rahe alag raste
un raston pe bhii kai seekhai.n to ho.ngii

ye seekhai.n hameshaa sameTe rakhnaa
inhii.n se to sabko manzil milai.ngii

regards aarya

Old
  (#14)
shakuntala vyas

25th June 2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarya View Post
thanks Sunita ji for sharing this article and Shakun dd U have always been an inspiration.
Great going....

warm regards to u both
aarya
thanks aarya dear

ur my so loving sister

kaha ho

sab prabhu ki icha he ji

lvvvvvvvvvvu

shakudidi

Old
  (#15)
prayerforall
prayerforall has a spectacular aura aboutprayerforall has a spectacular aura about

31st August 2011, 02:25 AM

Your Article is very inspiring.. I just feel like starting to do something new to live life fully, like Dr. Vyas.

Thanks for sharing it

ENJOY :-)

Old
  (#16)
shakuntala vyas

4th October 2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayerforall View Post
Your Article is very inspiring.. I just feel like starting to do something new to live life fully, like Dr. Vyas.

Thanks for sharing it
thanks a lot

god blessu

sab prabhu ki kripa he aur mata pita ka asirwad

Old
  (#17)
shakuntala vyas

9th February 2012, 05:56 PM

hi aarya

missssssssssssu

thanks for reading my article

sab prabhu ki kripa he ur aap sab ki subhkamanaye

lvvvvvvvvu

shakudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakuntala vyas View Post
thanks aarya dear

ur my so loving sister

kaha ho

sab prabhu ki icha he ji

lvvvvvvvvvvu

shakudidi

Old
  (#18)
shakuntala vyas

16th May 2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayerforall View Post

Thanks for sharing it
thanks a lot

sada khush rahe

ishver sada hume nek rah per le jayenge hum unki sharan me he

Old
  (#19)
Hamdam
Hamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud of

7th February 2013, 03:47 PM

Shakuntala ji,

Namaskar. Just had some tome and I chanced upon your story
Well while reading it there were tears in my eyes and I would salute
your unfalling determination and belief in yourself.I am 50 + but would
say that I got very inspired by your story.

People like you are role models for eveyone.

God bless you and your family.

Sanjay Sehgal

khone Pane ki daur mein yun uljha hai har bashar ,
Isee kashmeqash mein kat raha Zindagee ka safar.

Last edited by Hamdam; 7th February 2013 at 03:49 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: