Shayri.com  

Go Back   Shayri.com > Stories/Quotes/Anecdotes > Inspiring Stories

Necessities vs Luxuries
Old
  (#1)
zainy
Aapki dost
zainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Lightbulb Necessities vs Luxuries - 6th November 2010, 09:48 AM

Necessities vs Luxuries
----------------------------

Postpone what I WANT to do for what I HAVE...to...Do

Yesterday, I was driving, and the FM radio went off for few seconds. I thought I should have an iPod. Then suddenly I realized that I have not used my iPod in last 6 months. And then& more things, Handy cam in last 2 years, Digital Camera in last 2 months, DVD player in last 1 month and many more. Now I can say that I bought that Handy cam just out of impulse, I have used it twice only in last 4 years.

So, what's wrong and where? When I look at myself or my friends I can see it everywhere. We are not happy with what we have but all are stressed and not happy for the things we don’t have. You have a Santro, but you want City& you have a City, but you want Skoda. Just after buying a new phone, we need another one. Better laptop, bigger TV, faster car, bigger house, more money. I mean, these examples are endless. The point is what is it actually worth? Do we ever think if we actually need those things before we want them?

After this, I was forced to think what I need and what I don't. May be I didn’t need this Handy cam or the iPod or that DVD player. When I see my father back at home, he has a simple BPL color TV; he does not need a 32" Sony LCD wall mount. He has a cell phone worth Rs 2,500. Whenever I ask him to change the phone, he always says "It's a phone; I need this just for calls". And believe me; he is much happier in life than me with those limited resources and simple gadgets. The very basic reason why he is happy with so little is that he does not want things in life to make it luxurious, but he wants only those things which are making his life easier. It's a very fine line between these two, but after looking at my father's life style closely, I got the point. He needs a cell phone but not the iPhone. He needs a TV but not the 32 plasma. He needs a car but not an expensive one.

It is very simple- Our ancestors treated Necessities as Luxuries, we are looking at Luxuries as Necessities. This is making our life miserable...

Zainy

PalkoN ki baand ko tod ke daaman pe aa gira
Ek aaNsu mere zabt ki tauheen kar gaya...

Nm
  Send a message via MSN to zainy  
Old
  (#2)
zidd
zidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

6th November 2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainy View Post
Necessities vs Luxuries

Yesterday, I was driving, and the FM radio went off for few seconds. I thought I should have an iPod. Then suddenly I realized that I have not used my iPod in last 6 months. And then& more things, Handy cam in last 2 years, Digital Camera in last 2 months, DVD player in last 1 month and many more. Now I can say that I bought that Handy cam just out of impulse, I have used it twice only in last 4 years.

So, what's wrong and where? When I look at myself or my friends I can see it everywhere. We are not happy with what we have but all are stressed and not happy for the things we don’t have. You have a Santro, but you want City& you have a City, but you want Skoda. Just after buying a new phone, we need another one. Better laptop, bigger TV, faster car, bigger house, more money. I mean, these examples are endless. The point is what is it actually worth? Do we ever think if we actually need those things before we want them?

After this, I was forced to think what I need and what I don't. May be I didn’t need this Handy cam or the iPod or that DVD player. When I see my father back at home, he has a simple BPL color TV; he does not need a 32" Sony LCD wall mount. He has a cell phone worth Rs 2,500. Whenever I ask him to change the phone, he always says "It's a phone; I need this just for calls". And believe me; he is much happier in life than me with those limited resources and simple gadgets. The very basic reason why he is happy with so little is that he does not want things in life to make it luxurious, but he wants only those things which are making his life easier. It's a very fine line between these two, but after looking at my father's life style closely, I got the point. He needs a cell phone but not the iPhone. He needs a TV but not the 32 plasma. He needs a car but not an expensive one.

It is very simple- Our ancestors treated Necessities as Luxuries, we are looking at Luxuries as Necessities. This is making our life miserable...
not a cogent arguement ..zainyji.

maybe you donot know , but your drand dad may have admonished your dad on the simple mobile too........he may have thought why the need for a cellphone when the landline still works ?

and maybe your great grand dad may have viewed the black dial phone as some monstrosity imposed by a crank....after all what was the use ? with the Indian dak doing a fine job with a postcard ?

when earthmovers were first used in US , the texas unions protested vehemently...saying that 10 of these mean machines were doing the job of a good 200 labourers with shovels !! Eisenhover coolly replied" would you rather have 2000 workers with teaspoons" !!!

so the arguement doesnt really hold. today luxuries will be tomorrows necessities. as yesterdays luxuries are todays necessities.
this is perhaps what is called advancement of civilisation manifesting in material terms. After all many diseases are easily curable today of which entire populations died not many decades age...just a backward leap of 3-5 generations..not really much of a time if you really think...

maybe you were saying that one should live within our means..then the point is taken.

and saying all this...i must say that maybe , if i could , i would have gone and lived happily in our great grand dads time....
(If nothing else the air and mind were purer. now they are dirtied by pollution and knowledge respectively.)

perhaps....

more than anything else knowledge has polluted the earth.then all your arguements will seem coherent.

Old
  (#3)
ISHK EK IBADAT
RADHE RADHE
ISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Love 6th November 2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainy View Post
Necessities vs Luxuries

zainy jee
radhe radhe

bahut hi achha likha hai aur bilkul sahi likha hai ek kahavat bhi hai

"jaa ko kachhu naa chahiye vahi shanshaah"

Aapka Apna
Ishk

'इश्क' के बदले इश्क चाहना तिजारत है
इज़हार किससे करें महबूब तो दिल में है

email: rkm179@gmail.com

Old
  (#4)
zidd
zidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzidd is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

6th November 2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISHK EK IBADAT View Post
zainy jee
radhe radhe

bahut hi achha likha hai aur bilkul sahi likha hai ek kahavat bhi hai

"jaa ko kachhu naa chahiye vahi shanshaah"
ishq ji...kya sahi likha hai zara hame bhi bataiye bhai?

ye to likha nahi hai 'kachu na chaiye'......

ye likha hai 'sab kuch chaiye bus zara kum'.....

zara gaur se man laga kar padiye........

shayar ho bhai...read between the lines also

Old
  (#5)
Baqtiar
Loquacious Adonis
Baqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to all

6th November 2010, 02:08 PM

hehehehe....

Generation GAP... i must say....

Waise what an oldie will do with a PORSCHE 911 ....
(ppl will say buddaa ghoda lal lagam) hahaha

As Zidd said 'not a cogent argument'

Old
  (#6)
ISHK EK IBADAT
RADHE RADHE
ISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comISHK EK IBADAT is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

Love 6th November 2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidd View Post
ishq ji...kya sahi likha hai zara hame bhi bataiye bhai?

ye to likha nahi hai 'kachu na chaiye'......

ye likha hai 'sab kuch chaiye bus zara kum'.....

zara gaur se man laga kar padiye........

shayar ho bhai...read between the lines also

zidd bhai
radhe radhe

maine bahut gaur se padhne ke baad hi likha hai aapki baat sahi hai sab kuchh chahiye par zara kam kyonki ye zara kam hi hai jo hame apvyay se bachaata hai avashyaktaon ko kam karta hai yu to har roj nayee invention aati rahti hai kya har invention ki hame jaroorat hai isliye ye jaanna jaroori hai ki hamaari jaroorat kitni hai kitne se kaam chal sakta hai naa ki ye jo dekha wahi chahiye sawaal 2500/- ke fone ka nahi hai sawaal ye hai kya bilkul naye feature ke fone ki hame jaroorat hai ya ham isliye khareed rahen kyonki ham khareed sakte hain doosre ki dekh dekhi avashakta is baat ki hai ki apni jaroorton ko kam karke hi antar man me santosh paida ho sakta hai aur jisme santosh hai vahi zindagai ka sahi anand le raha hai

Aapka Apna
Ishk

'इश्क' के बदले इश्क चाहना तिजारत है
इज़हार किससे करें महबूब तो दिल में है

email: rkm179@gmail.com

Old
  (#7)
zainy
Aapki dost
zainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.comzainy is the among the best Shayars at Shayri.com

6th November 2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidd View Post
not a cogent arguement ..zainyji.

maybe you donot know , but your drand dad may have admonished your dad on the simple mobile too........he may have thought why the need for a cellphone when the landline still works ?

and maybe your great grand dad may have viewed the black dial phone as some monstrosity imposed by a crank....after all what was the use ? with the Indian dak doing a fine job with a postcard ?

when earthmovers were first used in US , the texas unions protested vehemently...saying that 10 of these mean machines were doing the job of a good 200 labourers with shovels !! Eisenhover coolly replied" would you rather have 2000 workers with teaspoons" !!!

so the arguement doesnt really hold. today luxuries will be tomorrows necessities. as yesterdays luxuries are todays necessities.
this is perhaps what is called advancement of civilisation manifesting in material terms. After all many diseases are easily curable today of which entire populations died not many decades age...just a backward leap of 3-5 generations..not really much of a time if you really think...

maybe you were saying that one should live within our means..then the point is taken.

and saying all this...i must say that maybe , if i could , i would have gone and lived happily in our great grand dads time....
(If nothing else the air and mind were purer. now they are dirtied by pollution and knowledge respectively.)

perhaps....

more than anything else knowledge has polluted the earth.then all your arguements will seem coherent.

The point here is not, whether to accept (own) new inventions and discoveries,..but, is it necessary that we should own all of them..??

To me the Moral of this story is,.."Wants and desires are unlimited, the more we fullfil our wishes, the more they keep emerging from the bottom of our hearts"..

we set goals in our lives, spend the whole life in achieving these goals, fulfilling our desires,leaving behind relations, and friends in this race...and at the end of it, we dont even utilize what we have earned , as it is said in the first part of the story, the person has so many electronics, but he hardly uses them...

As Rajinder ji have said, we should'nt be running behind luxuries,I would call it "show off"......moreover, everyone cannot have everything...we have to compromise,.. and be contended...and first thing first "Happy"....that is more important..

Quote:

I will say this is another side of the story...I agree with your point of view as well..

Btw,there is no definite line differentiating between necessities and luxuries, necessities for some could be luxuries to some one else, and vise versa..

Anyways this is a debatable issue.........

Everyone will have their own point of view..........

Well on the lighter side of it...Waise yeh sab sochna ladkiyoN ka kaam hai hi nahi...

waise bhi ladkiyoN ki zyada desires/wishes nahi hoti, bas thodi si jewellery, pearls ,Rubys,..200-300 jode kapde aur joote, hafte me 3-4 baar outing, hoteling,..mahine me 10-12 baar picnics parties....bas itni hi maange hoti haiN hamari, ab necessities kehlijiye ya luxuries.............

*PLS NOTE... IN GENERAL SABHI LADKIYON KI BAAT KAR RAHI HUUN...

Zainy

PalkoN ki baand ko tod ke daaman pe aa gira
Ek aaNsu mere zabt ki tauheen kar gaya...

Nm

Last edited by zainy; 6th November 2010 at 08:13 PM..
  Send a message via MSN to zainy  
Old
  (#8)
Baqtiar
Loquacious Adonis
Baqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to allBaqtiar is a name known to all

7th November 2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
waise bhi ladkiyoN ki zyada desires/wishes nahi hoti, bas thodi si jewellery, pearls ,Rubys,..200-300 jode kapde aur joote, hafte me 3-4 baar outing, hoteling,..mahine me 10-12 baar picnics parties....bas itni hi maange hoti haiN hamari, ab necessities kehlijiye ya luxuries.............
--------------------*ahu* ahu*ahu*---------------

Kafi Socializing hoti hai ye ladkiyan....
(No wonder i Laaawwwfff this Opposite gender) hahaha

Old
  (#9)
mittal_pali
Webeater
mittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to beholdmittal_pali is a splendid one to behold

10th February 2011, 10:47 AM

good comments recieved zainy ji. i'll go with them. thanks for sharing.

Pali Mittal

Old
  (#10)
Hamdam
Hamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud ofHamdam has much to be proud of

4th June 2013, 08:13 PM

The debate was quite interesting

sanjay

Old
  (#11)
aquaprin90
aquaprin90 is on a distinguished road

15th July 2013, 11:33 AM

Very aptly said... We are really making the luxuries our necessity and not understanding the difference between luxuries and necessities.. I am very much convinced with your writing..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: