Shayri.com  

Go Back   Shayri.com > Stories/Quotes/Anecdotes > General Stories

Old days
Old
  (#1)
roy_27
roy_27 is on a distinguished road

Old days - 9th December 2005, 07:41 PM

Oh! Those old days. After so many years. All these thoughts flashed into my mind as I was going back to my village back to my uncle who raised me when I became an orphan. I had become so busy that I could not visit my village for many years. My uncle was a lawyer by profession but now was retried. He had two children who were now pursing their careers in the city. He was all alone now. He loved me very much even though I was not his child. He took care of me, loved me dearly. He had sent me to the city for studies. And later helped me to get my job. After that I had became so busy that I did not get a chance to visit. Poor fellow must be feeling so lonely.

All throughout he has supported me even when I told him I wanted to become an architect although he wanted me to become a doctor, as I was very good with biology. He also did not object when I told him I wanted to marry a girl of my choice. He even gave me his watch because I didn’t have one. He has always been the same, despite the fact that so much have changed; such a long time has passed.

When I was small he used to give me a box of chocolates and a 5/rs note, always when I used to come first in any competition.
He was a very good telepath also! I need not open my mouth before that he could understand everything. I remember that day, when I went to him hesitating. I wanted a watch, as all of my classmates had one. Also, I would be giving my 12th board this time so I needed it. As I went in his room. He looked from his book he was reading and smiled. I was just going to ask before that he took out his watch and gave it to me and said” I can’t buy you a watch now, can you manage with mine”. I stood there surprised. He never used to give his watch to anyone.

Oh! Those golden days. The boat hit the shore; at last we have reached the small town of Rampur.As I traveled along the muddy road in a bullock cart. The scent of wet earth, the chirping of birds and the beautiful rainbow, all things so bright and beautiful. It reminded me of the day when I was traveling along the same road with a heavy bag on my shoulders, to leave the town. When I was to board the train uncle gave me a bag. When I got on the train and opened it I found the same old chocolates and a 5/rs note.

My thoughts wandered off as I entered the same old house, everything was just the same. I had not informed my uncle, as I wanted to give him a surprise. I found the house empty. When I asked the servant he informed that my uncle had passed away yesterday night. I was left there alone; the watch that I had brought for him fell on the floor and broke. The servant came and handled me a packet and said” sir, left this for you, just before he died. I think he knew that he was..” he lost his words and hurried off inside. As I opened the packet I found a 5/RS note and a box of chocolates and a letter attached. It read

Dear Ansh,

This is for you. I just wanted to tell you that you have a been a wonderful son. Thank you for the watch you have brought for me, keep it in my safe.