View Single Post
Old
  (#28)
Pradhyuman
'Bismil'
Pradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant futurePradhyuman has a brilliant future

18th May 2009, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=chocboy;354103]Dear kshitij ji and dheer ji,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocboy View Post
Dear kshitij ji and dheer ji,

kindly reply so that i can have more clarity in my mind?
dear chocboy,

I would want them to answer your query..but just to give u a perspective on why the rigid guidelines need or need not be followed..(m no authority to comment on this...but my understandn so far on the subject can surely be shared)

y d guidelines should be followed:

to a larger extent any poetry has to be lyrical (not necessary but den one could have written an essay instead) u knw wht i mean...two things dat immediately come to my mind when we talk bout poems is:

ryhme scheme
and length of verses

dis is what is followed in ghazals as well...kaafiyaa and beHr is wht we call it. (der are many more terminologies one needs to knw bout nd follow but dats not d focus of our discussion here)

so ghazals need to be in beHr and adhering to the Kaafiyaa, radeef, etc for it to be rendered a musical touch...however, literary meaning of "Ghazal" is to converse with the beloved.. so u mite argue that nethn i write on dis topic shld be classified as ghazal..but d beauty is to write it within the framework...its like to paint a picture u need to have the canvass (and its sizes defined) nd u work within it..greatness is not in the thought alone...it is in the rendering...presentation to be precise..

der r many oder type of poems like nazam, ruba'iee, qasida, salam, munajat each has its definition nd a specific framework...so one needs to knw wht he/she wants to write on (subject nd the framework)

y dey shldnt be followed:

take for example: radeef is the repeating line after every rhyme scheme in every verse…now der r ghazals who dnt have ne radeef…dese ghazals r calld “gair-muraddaf” ghazals… …In modern Urdu poetry, there are lots of Ghazal's which do NOT follow the restriction of same 'BeHr' (meter) on both the lines of Sher.. however evn dey do have kaafiyaa (rhyme scheme) nd radeef

but see the point is if u r nt follown the same meter for both the lines (misra)..den u shld atleast follow that pattern uniformly across ur entire ghazal..

ABCDEF is d Ghazal rule
u write ABB CDD EFF but u r still following a pattern..

I wont comment on Dheer ji’s recommendation..he is d right person to help us all wid dat..however I buy ur first point… whn u specify “der se” u r nt leavn nethn to reader’s own interpretation…. leavn your poetic thoughts unexplained will help a reader add his/her two bits...

but in d second point wht Dheer ji says is wht even I felt..however every shayar has his own way of expressin his thoughts..may b v did nt understand wht Kshitij wntd to say at d first go.

I hope I had some clarity of thoughts in whtevr I said so far nd was of help to u…

I wld love to see Dheer ji and Kshitij Sahab’s comments on dis topic…v will also get to learn somethn

--

Pradhyuman

-------------------------------------------------

gore ghareeban hai ye 'bismil', kyun tu naashaad nazar aata hai?
musht-e-khaak hai basi yahan, bata kahan fuwaad nazar aata hai?
--------------------------------------------------